Sunday, February 6, 2011

January

Well January hasn't really been that exciting for us. With mom on bed-rest you can't do a whole lot. Like I previously blogged in my pregnancy update I was put on bed-rest the 5th of January. This is when I was 22 almost 23 weeks pregnant. I was on bed-rest from the 5th through the 21st, taking me to 25 weeks. As previously posted I was then placed in the hospital for a week. I then got to come home because my measurements hadn't changed, all my tests were negative and I wasn't dilating yet. Because my cervix still measured shorter then its supposed to I was told to go home on bed-rest....again. This time I do not get up much at all. I only get up to use bathroom and to shower, and I can sit up all the way to eat my meals. I try to be good about this because I don't want to go back to the hospital, but it does get really really old laying around. I am so grateful that I am home with my family. It was hard being in the hospital with Garet and Paige a couple hours away. With frequent phone calls and texts, visits from my mom, an old high school friend, and a family friend it wasn't that bad. It also helped knowing that Paige was in good hands back at home. My little sister Megan and little brother Jared did so much to help. They had Paige the majority of the time. When Megan had class or wanted to socialize (like normal college students) she got help from neighbors, friends and other family. I know Paige missed us but being with other people that loved her helped.
Since being on bed-rest we have enjoyed frequent visits from family in-town, ward members, my mom, sister in-law Laura and my sister Marlee and Brother Justin. Its been very humbling to have so many people help us. I am not one to sit back and not do much so it gets frustrating at times. I am so grateful for family and church. There have been so many people bring books by, meals, activities for Paige to do, movies and other treats. And I have lost count of all the offers to help with Paige.. I can't forget those that have helped me do laundry and "really" clean my house. Again like I said its very humbling...and I have learned a lot from the examples of my friends of how I need to be. I'm just so lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful people.
Paige and I have had a lot of one on one time. Before being placed on bed-rest it was still just Paige and I. But now that I am just laying around we read a lot more, watch movies together, do crafts, and color. Mom can't get up and do anything else. Paige loves, loves, loves to color right now. Its a blessing right now because she'll just sit by me for hours coloring. We have gone through 6 different wonder color marker books, and 2 different coloring books in just the last 5 weeks. Paige has also had to "grow up" a little bit more this past month. I didn't realize how much I did for her. She now carries a stool around the house and does what she needs to. (turn lights on/off, reach different toys/food/snacks, reach clothes, get dressed all by herself, climbs on to the toilet by herself)
Garet has also been very good to me the last few weeks. He really has had to pick up extra duty around the house. He gets us breakfast in the morning, gets Paige ready for the day, gets me all set up with what I need and then goes to work. When he gets home from work he cleans up the house, gets dinner if needed or just prepares me dinner if someone brought us some. He then cleans up the kitchen and gets Paige ready for bed and helps me with whatever I need then goes to basketball practice. (he's the coach). By the end of the day he is exhausted. We are so so grateful for him!!!


Paige and I were watching a movie..and the next thing I new she was out. She had squeezed between the couch where I was and our little table. She looked so cute! (this is when I was on moderate bed-rest before being hospitalized. ( I did take the picture but I wasn't being a bad girl. At this time I could get up more frequently.)

Paige and I making Fruit Loop necklaces in my "Bachelor Pad" as Garet calls it. With the help of Garet, my mom and my wonderful neighbor Brandi they have arranged a nice little space for me. With a little rearranging of the room I now can watch TV, and use the computer in my room. I also have 2 sitting chairs where I can visit with people that come, and a nice mini fold up table that I eat meals on, and do activities with Paige on. But the best feature about the room is a mini fridge. Garet makes sure its nice and stocked before going off to work with water and snacks for both Paige and I. The fridge also works good as a side table where I can put my books, water, lamp and stuff like that.
Crafty Paige

8 comments:

Bethany said...

Amanda, this is so sweet. I mean, I KNOW it's a hard time. I KNOW it's hard not to get out of bed... but in some ways, what a wonderful blessing to get to be with Paige and to be almost FORCED to give her your undivided attention for the last few months before she won't be able to have your undivided attention as much as she had before, because of the baby, of course. But it's so sweet to me to imagine you to gals happily coloring the day away. :)
And hey, may I add another benefit of bedrest-tons of blogging time! :)

Esther said...

Have you ever done "indexing"? I had a friend that was on bed rest her entire pregnancy and she did a lot of that. She says it was a huge blessing in her life to feel like she was serving in whatever way she could. I have never done it, but its basically doing online temple work. check it out- Take care! Glad you guys are hanging in there!

Jana and Brett said...

Glad to hear you are doing well. Wow! I don't think I can handle going on bedrest! But it's amazing what you can do when you know its whats best for you! I wish I was around so I can visit you. I've been thinking about you a lot. :0)
Love you manda!

Sherri Romney said...

Gosh Amanda. Let me rent you some movies or go get you some new books or something! If there is ever a day when you don't have dinner coming let me know! I will make you all something! That looks like quite the sweet little set up, even though it must get so frustrating to be sitting there all day. Please really let me know what I can do. Love you guys
PS- Paige had such pretty hair on Sunday. I saw her and Garet walk in when I was walking the halls with Steele. :)

Woodside's said...

Hello my friend! When you get a chance call me. I called on Saturday and left a message so I would love to visit. I am happy to see you smiling in the picture and that you are comfortable. I have been wanting to come visit but I still feel a little overwhelmed with loading up two kids for the weekend. Justin and I pray for you and your family every night. We love you and we all are so excited to meet a healthy, happy and strong little girl in a couple of months!

k and j said...

you are an amazing momma! try and hang in there. i am such a busy body so i would go CRAZY on bed rest! but of course the end prize is so worth it! thank goodness! take care :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry! I totally know how hard bed rest is! hang in there it will be worth it in the end. u have a great attitude and I agree with bethany, what a blessing to spend time with paige. she is so stinking cute! AND, you look great!

Susan said...

I can't imagine being on strict bedrest as much as you have had to during this pregnancy. But it looks like you've got a nice little set-up and some good helpers to make it tolerable!