Tuesday, June 23, 2009

He really was a "Good Man"


These past two weeks have been a roller coaster for our family. I have put off blogging about this b/c I didn't really know what to say. Saturday June 13, 2009 Garets father past away. The day just after him and his wife's 50th wedding anniversary. This was an unexpected death. But when the news of Cancer came about one week prior to his death we were grateful that it did go fast. Thursday June 4th Garets dad was admitted in the hospital for tremendous back pain. Garet and his brother had previously been treating him and took x-rays of his back and found a compression fx. There is not much treatment you can do for a compression fx. It is much like a stress fx, it gets better with rest. After a couple days of rest Garet told his dad that he needed to go to the doctor if the pain did not subside so like I said he was admitted to the hospital for pain management. He received alot of pain medication at the hospital which did relax him a lot and made him quite sleepy. Friday they did an MRI and found evidence that he had bone cancer to the back. This was a fear of Garets b/c his dad had previously had a hx of bladder cancer. Saturday he remained quite sleepy but his kidneys started to fail. The Doctors then decided to air lift Dad to Tucson Medical Center. All of the family but 2 grand kids and one son in law were there to see him leave the hospital. We had lots of tender moments with him before he left the hospital and witnessed small little mircles. Before Dad left he was able to hold each grandchild and child (including in laws) hands and tell them he loved them each individually. It was very hard to see him leave but a very special experience for our family. In Tucson it seemed like his kidneys were slowly getting better, and a bone scan they did showed that there wasn't bone cancer. Our family felt that this was an answer to our prayers and truly a miracle. Garet and I were able to be with him Saturday night thru Monday night. He was still very sleepy but could answer most of our questions. Again this was a special time. Thursday they decided to run one more test just to make sure everything was improving as they seemed to be. However they then found that there was cancer in his liver and spleen. From these reports the Doctors only gave Dad a few weeks. During these weeks they said he would most likey be in alot of pain. Then that same day out of know where his kidneys started to shut down again. The doctors told us we could do dialysis but that would only save time until the cancer killed him. Friday morning we decided to bring him home with the family until he passed away. The Doctors weren't able to explain why his kidneys were shutting down but we found this as another tender mercy of our Heavenly Father. Because the kidneys are the bodies filtering system he wouldn't be able to release his bodies toxins and thus not be able to feel the pain of the cancer. It was nice to have him home with the family. Dad was glad to be home also. All the family came and were able to say good bye to their grandpa and father. Saturday early morning he left his earthly body and went to be with our Heavenly Father. His wife and kids were all able to be at his bedside. This was a very hard, but very special as well. His Funeral was a week ago Saturday. It was a nice funeral in which all the family was able to participate. Dad was a man loved by many people and a friend to all. Like an old saying says, "He didn't know a stranger, just a friends he hadn't yet met." We will truly miss our Dad, and Grandfather. He was a wonderful man and always willing to do anything for us. Paige loved her "Bampa" and misses him. Since we lived with him she really got to know him. Once they moved out, she still got to see him every morning. She now loves seeing pictures of him. We are sad that our "future" children will not know there wonderful grandfather in this earthly state but know they are getting to know him at this time. We are grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and know that we will see him again. We know that because of our Savior this is all possible and are grateful for what he has done for us. Thanks Dad for everything, we sure love you!!!

16 comments:

Heidi Joncas said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. He was such a "Good Man" as you put it. I worked at the copy shop in Safford and he would come in on a regular basis to make copies of pictures for the books he was making. I think he said they were all for his kids with pictures and stories of his life. He was so kind to me and always willing to tell me the stories of the picture I was copying. He had great stories. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Lindsey said...

Hi Amanda, I don't know if you remember me from EA, but I occassionally glance at your blog to see what your cute family is up to.
I am so sorry to hear about your father in law. He was my landlord my first year of college...and he was great. I was terrified about living on my own, and had heard horrible stories about them. But he was awesome. He was so personal and would chat with us and fix everything right away. He took such good care of us!
I will keep you guys in my prayers.

Van and Rhonda said...

Garet & Amanda ~ what a beautiful tribute to your dad. I loved reading that and it made me teary eyed. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but seeing his picture I felt of his love for his family and friends. He looks like such an awesome man! My prayers and thoughts are with you at this time and please tell Garet's mom I am truly sorry! What a wonderful plan we are all aware of and what an awesome feeling we truly have when someone passes away that we will be together again! I don't know how people function losing a loved one that doesn't believe that. It made things so much easier when my mom passed away to know that I would see her again. We truly are blessed to have such a loving Heavenly Father. One that took your dad so fast that he didn't have to suffer. That is what He did with my mom too. Well, I love you guys and again know that I am thinking of all of you at this time. Rhonda

k and j said...

:( This made me so sad to read. I am sad that I am not closer and couldn't get to the funeral easier. But thanks for this sweet post. We will miss Uncle Webb like crazy but we know that he is out of pain and happy now :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so very sorry! It such a blessing to have the gospel and the knowledge of our Heavenly Fathers plan. As always, your sweet example and faith touch me! Thanks!

Woodside's said...

Justin and I are so grateful for the opportunity we had to come to the funeral! It was so special and the Goodman family is amazing and so strong. I am sad that I will not have an opportunity to have those delicious Tacos made by Webb again but I am sure glad I got to experience them. We love you guys ang pray that you will cintinue to be comforted and watched over! If you need anything let us know or if you need a weekend away come and stay with us:)

Spencer and Marlee said...

I really love this man and will really miss him. Even though we didn't see him often it will be different not having him in Thatcher when we come to visit. He was always willing to serve people. How thankful I am for the gospel. It really is a comfort to know where he is and whats going to happen. It will be a rejoicing time when you/ we get to see him again! We love you!

Haymore Family said...

hey ya please do come by we would love to see you guys!

Flint and Jan said...

We love you Amanda and Garet! We are gonna be in S.V. Fri-Sun. Can't wait to see you guys!

Deanne Wahl said...

I am so glad that you posted this. It is such a sweet tribute to Brother Goodman. I really wish I could have been at the funeral, but I did hear how amazing it was. I hope you and Garet know you have been in our prayers. That picture you put up of him was the perfect one!

Mary Anne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. We will keep you all in our prayers. What a blessing the gospel is.

Bethany said...

Ok, so I guess this happened a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't manage to catch this post. So sorry, friends. My dad passed away a few years ago, so I kind of understand the pain.
So sorry again. :( I'll be thinking of you.

Marisa and Rob said...

Hi Garet and Amanda. This is Marisa Rowley Rasmussen, I went to school with Garet and my borther Jesse is a good friend to Garets brother's. I came across your blog and just wanted to say how sorry we are to hear about this. I have met Garet's dad a couple of times, and I know the family well. It made me think of my dad who passed away about 9 years ago and how blessed we are to have the gospel in our lives and to know that this is not the end, and that we will see our loved ones again. Our prayers are with all of you.

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for your unwavering testimony of families.

Tiffany Webber said...

Oh Garet and Amanda I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad that you are able to see some of the tender mercies that our Father in Heaven has given you at this time. What a blessing that his whole family got to be around him before he passed on. Jordan and I continue to keep you both in our prayers as well as the rest of your family. I know all to well about the pain of losing a loved one, but how grateful we are to know of the Gospel of our Savior Jesus Christ and to know that we will be with our loved ones again. Sending you guys a big hug from Las Vegas! Love you both!!

Adam, Hilly, Wes and Meg said...

What an amazing testimony, Amanda! We are so grateful to have known this wonderful man as well. Even though we only met him a few times he made us feel like we were part of the family. I'm sure he is doing great work now and we are so glad to know this! Love you guys!!